FOUNDING ATTORNEY AND MANAGING MEMBER
Direct Line: (469) 731-3318
Roger is a regulatory compliance attorney and mortgage technology pioneer. He counsels mortgage originators, technology providers, and other companies in the mortgage industry on a wide variety of compliance matters including TILA, HOEPA, QM, RESPA, TRID, HMDA, ECOA, fair lending, state consumer protection laws, compliance management systems and information security.
For more than a decade, Roger served as the executive compliance leader of mortgage fraud and compliance technology innovator Interthinx and was the creative force behind PredProtect, one of the first cloud-based mortgage compliance solutions. Under Roger’s stewardship, the system (which earned a 2014 HousingWire Compliance All-Star award) quickly became an industry standard for compliance, processing one million loans annually for 250 banks, lenders and investors nationwide. The same creative and precision thinking behind PredProtect are the hallmarks of Roger’s approach to the practice of law.
In addition to his experience at the cutting edge of law and technology, Roger was a former compliance manager, underwriter, processor and loan officer, providing him with an enhanced level of understanding for his clients’ day-to-day compliance needs.
Recognized for his experience in mortgage compliance and technology, Roger is a regular speaker at industry conferences, has led countless industry seminars and has authored dozens of articles. He’s an active member of the Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA), serving on the MBA’s Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance and QC/Fraud committees, and previously contributed as an MBA School of Mortgage Banking real property law trainer. In addition, Roger produces the Compliance Insiders podcasts, a weekly series dedicated to mortgage compliance issues.
· Counseled originators regarding QM, TILA, RESPA, HMDA, APR, anti-predatory lending (high-cost loan) laws and permissible fees
· Advised startup lenders and outsourced processing vendor on 50-state licensing and regulatory requirements
· Performed mock-CFPB audit of mortgage lender’s operations
· Performed comprehensive fair lending analysis using lender’s matched-pair data
· Advised mortgage technology providers on compliance matters and product development
· Drafted compliance management systems and policies and procedures for originators and technology service providers
· Advised originators on information security matters
· First American Mortgage Solutions, Operations Counsel
· Interthinx, Vice President of Compliance
· Nexstar Financial, Legal/Regulatory
· CitiMortgage, Operations
· Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D.)
· University of Missouri (B.A. Economics)
· New Jersey
· Pending admission to District of Columbia